Wednesday, July 15, 2015

PAULINA ARANGUIZ: The Essential Jeweler

My name is Paulina Aranguiz Montesi, and I am designer and goldsmith.

I am from the Los Andes región of Chile and have lived for the past eight years in the city of Quilpue where I have established my workshop.

I have been working as a goldsmith for the past fourteen years. My greatest passion and satisfaction is derived from experimenting and creating works with different types of materials. 






THE BEGINNING



Since I was a little girl I have always been interested by metals and tools. I used to create earrings and necklaces that I would then sell to my family members.

After graduating from school I studied graphic design and eventually goldsmithing at the Casa de Cultura in Viña del Mar, where I found my true passion.



FELTED SILVER AND COPPER NECKLACE




DAILY ROUTINE




My day begins early in the morning. Since I work independently I am able to make my own work Schedule. I typically dedicate two days a week to teaching classes and then devote the rest of the week to my clients and personal projects.

My sister, Sole, helps me in my workshop by preparing the materials while I take care of the design and finishing aspects of the job. I buy most of my materials such as gold and silver in Santiago and obtain the majority of my other materials (such as stones, fibers and Wood) from the South of Chile.





DESIGN PROCESS




FINANCING




My business is self sustaining  due to the classes that I teach, as well as the income that I generate through the sales of my products. 



FLAGSHIP PRODUCTS



It is difficult for me to decide or define what my principle product is due to the fact that I am always changing and evolving my creations. If it is necessary for me to name one, it would be the “Collar de Avellano Plata”, a silver necklace that was recognized with a seal for excellence at Artesania Chile 2009 by Unesco and the council of culture. 


HAZELNUT TREE NECKLACE



TRADITION AND INNOVATION




My pieces are crafted by hand and I incorporate various aspects of Chilean culture into them, fusing both contemporary and ethnic culture through the use of materials that I obtain from lakes, mountains, and beaches.

The result is a unique product that is urban and versatile yet at the same time mindful of traditions.







GOALS




The mere fact of having found goldsmithing is sufficient enough for me. My work has given me great personal satisfaction and has allowed me to achieve my objectives and attain various rewards.



LEGACY: What advice would you give to an aspiring artisan?




I hope to guide my students and help them achieve their own personal style while teaching them to express themselves and be innovative.


 





MAKE A CALL TO WHO YOU WOULD LIKE TO SHOW YOUR WORK



I would like a center where artisans could come together and showcase our products to tourists located within the Los Andes region of Chile.








CONTACT PAULINA ARANGUIZ

paumontesi@gmail.com




No comments:

Post a Comment

Willing to have your feedback!