Wednesday, July 22, 2015

FLORENCIA GARGIULO: The Metal Jeweler


My name is Florencia Gargiulo, I studied industrial design at the University of Buenos Aires and I have dedicated myself to creating contemporary jewelry for the past thirteen years.

Since 2004 I have been transmitting techniques that are unique to crafting jewelry as well as other techniques that nurture the designs and possibilities of others.

My work in modern jewelry is focused on creating unique pieces through the designs found in shapes and the exploration of different techniques and their combination with the different colors that metals offer.


 ME AT WORK


THE BEGINNING


An industrial designer projects designs and another professional is tasked with bringing that design to fruition.

My great dilemma is that I enjoy both projecting and creating. I found in jewelry a place where I have control over every aspect of the process, both in regards to design and creation.

My search for designs and inspiration is thorough and my creative process is very long, once I have decided to create a piece, however, I sit down to work and finish in very little time.



DAILY ROUTINE


My typical work day begins by taking my children to school, returning to my house and reading and responding my emails from possible students who want to begin crafting.

I then go to my workshop and begin teaching classes. The classes are 2 hours 30 minutes in length which gives me enough time to lecture, design and begin constructing pieces. I typically teach up to three classes daily.




I live from my work and get great pleasure from working with creativity, designs, different materials, and different people. Social exchanges are fundamental and I enjoy my classes because I have the opportunity to pass onto others the skills that I have learned.

We work with silver, bronze, alpaca and gold. We also make rare alloys and Japanese alloys such as Shakudo, Shibuichi, and Shiroshibuichi. These alloys are mixtures of different metals in precise proportions that result in the natural oxidation of the metal and change the color.

We also work with alternative materials such as resin, rubber, leather, wood, stone and textiles. My work is essentially teaching and guiding the design and construction of jewelry, while ensuring that each student achieves his maximum potential and develops his own identity.






FINANCING



My workshop pays for itself and grants me the opportunity to create unique pieces and participate in exhibitions and competitions. I also plan events along with my students that allow us to showcase our work and sell our creations.

I believe that selling what one creates is essential when trying to grow and develop in this profession. 


WHITE GOLD RING



FLAGSHIP PRODUCTS


One of my favorite pieces is a bracelet that I planned for a very long time and finished constructing over a period of four days while I was moving into my new house.

I finished the bracelet in a corner of the new house, surrounded by boxes and since I had my workshop packed in boxes, I only had two tweezers, a jeweler’s saw, and various pieces of wood.

The bracelet was made so I could participate in SOFA New York for the Mobilia art gallery. The bracelet then went on to win an honorable mention in the “Bienal International Cheongju” in Korea a few years later. Carved entirely by hand from a piece of wood, the bracelet is made with sterling silver, shakudo and 18k gold.

Composed entirely of different links that fit together and compress when worn, the bracelet is unique in that it adjusts according to a persons’ wrist.





STERLING SILVER AND 18 K BRACELET



TRADITION AND INNOVATION


Saying that I have no tradition is to deny the origins of jewelry making, in reality I utilize everything that traditional jewelry making offers and incorporate those skills in making new pieces.

Innovation lies in being able to solve forms; morphology is my passion. Incorporating different techniques that are unrelated to jewelry to achieve new and innovative results is an important aspect of my work.



GOALS



My dream is to create a school that focuses on teaching jewelry making and where every form of art is taught in an unbiased way. I would like this school to foster interactions between any fields that contribute to art or jewelry making. 

Another great dream of mine is to own a showroom where I could sell my works and send them to any part of the world.





LEGACY: What advice would you give to an aspiring artisan?


Working in Jewelry offers an unexplainable satisfaction. From the very first contact with tools, metal and fire, it easy to fall in love; Patience and flexibility are crucial if you wish to succeed and if you work in a group, even more so. 

Music, tea, mate and communication are also important! 





MAKE A CALL TO WHO YOU WOULD LIKE TO SHOW YOUR WORK


I would like to create a school that that teaches excellence when crafting traditional and contemporary jewelry and would be interested in any potential investors.

I would also like to commercialize our designs and have them available for sale in any part of the world.





CONTACT FLORENCIA GARGIULO

gargiulo.florencia@gmail.com
Facebook: Taller de metales clases de joyeria contemporánea. Buenos Aires - Argentina

No comments:

Post a Comment

Willing to have your feedback!