Wednesday, June 24, 2015

RAFAEL ALVAREZ: The Painter Jeweler

My name is Rafael Luis Alvarez and I am a jeweler, painter and physics profesor.

Since I first began working on jewelery, I decided to link design with painting, in such a way as to unite these two passions in a single artistic work.

From a technical standpoint, I’ve managed to link these two passions through the use of engraving. Through trial and error I`ve devised a method that I`ve named “Surface modeling”, which allows me to combine metals and obtain well defined figures that are on par with the results obtained from etching.

Jewelery and painting are passions that motivate me; I began studying them in 1990 and from 1992 until 1999 I systematically worked until I was able to establish my workshop. 



WORKING IN MY STUDIO



THE BEGINNING



I was born and raised in Buenos Aires, Argentina. I studied physics and began working with the intention of becoming independent. After 10 years of working as a teacher, I decided to study jewelry making, drawing and painting as a way with which to unite various different artistic traditions.

After many years of studying and working, I established my workshop and eventually developed my engraving technique known as “surface modeling” with which I craft the majority of my works. 


"NACIMIENTO" BROOCH, SILVER 925 AND COPPER


DAILY ROUTINE



I usually begin working at 9am by going to my workshop which is located in my house; I work alone and manage my workload according to the expectations and needs of my customers.

I typically purchase my materials from specialized shops or create them myself. Generally, I do not delegate responsibilites or work with others, save when time constraints demand it.




MY WORKSPACE


FINANCING


I finance myself through the sale of my works, but primarily through teaching lessons in my workshop to various students.


WORKING ON A BUCKLE DESIGN



FLAGSHIP PRODUCTS



My flagship product was born from my desire to link painting with jewelery, as well as the idea of adding texture and including different metals within a single piece.

The piece, a belt buckle named “En el Agua” which won first place at the “Salon de Artesania y Diseno de Berazategui” in 2008, is composed of various inter-twined shapes.

The most recent innovation in my product line is the belt buckle known as “Las Hojas” which is crafted in 925 silver and copper. 


"IN THE WATER" BUCKLE


TRADITION AND INNOVATION



I rescue from traditional jewelry making the process of working precious metals with traditional techniques.

With regards to my original designs, I believe that they represent a variant of traditional works with an air of innovation. 


"LAS HOJAS" BUCKLE


GOALS



I would like my work to be recognized both nationally and internationally, as well as to be able to exhibit my products and sell them to people in the art world.

To accomplish my goal I believe it is necessary for me to achieve a greater diffusion of my work, perhaps through specialized marketing or advertising.



LEGACY: What advice would you give to an aspiring artisan?



I would advise any aspiring artisan to focus strongly on techniques, but above all to stay true to their inner voice and expressive necessities.



WOODEN RING


MAKE A CALL TO WHO YOU WOULD LIKE TO SHOW YOUR WORK


Esteemed owner of a store or gallery, I would like to introduce you to an artisanal argentine product that is crafted with care and innovation; with a particular care for the technical as well as a uniquely personal touch.

I would like for you to appraise my work and value its merits and possibilities in the market.






CONTACT RAFAEL ALVAREZ

rafaelluisalvarezm@yahoo.com.ar

http://www.rafaelluisalvarez.com.ar/

No comments:

Post a Comment

Willing to have your feedback!