Saturday, June 1, 2013

ANTONIO PUJIA The Noble Sculptor


My name is Antonio Pujia and I am an artist, sculptor, and teacher. 

I was born in Polia, a small town in Calabria, Italy and immigrated to Buenos Aires, Argentina, where I have lived since I was eight years old. 

I have been a sculptor since I was a young child and have over 70 years’ worth of experience as an artisan. 


WORKING IN MY STUDIO



THE BEGINNING

I was born in a small town without electricity, gas, or running water. As a child I would craft my own toys with clay gathered from the banks of a stream. 

At eight years old I immigrated with my parents to Argentina, and upon graduating from elementary school I enrolled in an Art institute and never stopped creating.


"VUELO"



DAILY ROUTINE

I wake up early and after having breakfast I walk about 700 meters from my house to my workshop. I then work until 12:30 and after having lunch I continue working from 3pm to 7pm. 

My schedule is fixed Mondays through Fridays, though I do work Saturday mornings and rest on Sundays. 

My working hours are that of the working class as I am a worker of art.


"MIRARSE EN UNO"



FINANCING

I stay in business by selling my works, which I create by working daily. 


"PAREJA EN PARQUE"



FLAGSHIP PRODUCTS

I work with a variety of materials, all of them regarded as noble and classics within sculpting from the beginning of time. 


I sculpt in marble and wood and model with clay and bees wax. These pieces are typically cast using the age old technique of melting away the wax on bronze or silver. 

Some of my most renown works are the small sculptures that I model in wax and cast in silver; many of them are jewels. 

The first of these sculptures was created because my wife asked me for a personalized piece of jewelry. 


MY STUDIO


TRADITION AND INNOVATION

My sculptures are crafted using the same techniques that were used by artisans for thousands of years; woodworking, stone sculpting and metal casting. 

I learned all of these techniques under at the art institute I attended and under the apprenticeship of various craftsmen. My innovation to the field consists of sculpting small sculptures that can be worn as jewelry. 


"PUREZA INCONTAMINADA"


 GOALS

This year I would like to take an exposition of my works across the interior of my country. 

To achieve this, however, I need funds for transportation and insurance.



LEGACY: What advice would you give to an aspiring artisan?

That I studied and worked hard; an artist is made through his works, not his words.

 
"MUJER MARIPOSA"




MAKE A CALL TO WHO YOU WOULD LIKE TO SHOW YOUR WORK

I would like anyone who is interested in my work to contact me.


CONTACT ANTONIO PUJIA

info@antoniopujia.com
www.antoniopujia.com
https://www.facebook.com/antonio.pujia.7 



No comments:

Post a Comment

Willing to have your feedback!